Magnetic knee support is an instrument which has strategically placed magnets around the knee joint region, especially around the kneecap. Magnetic knee supports offer a natural and non-invasive pain relief, using special magnetic fields. These magnetic knee supports are based on the principles of magnetic therapy. Magnetic therapy has been used for thousands of years for treatment of swelling and pain, and for improvement of blood circulation and healing. Magnetic therapy also has benefits to the whole body, for example, improvement of sleep quality and activity, and reduction of stress. Magnetic fields are also known as triggers for nervous system which can reduce the send of pain signals to the brain, reducing the amount of pain which is felt.
Saying the truth, there are different opinions about the effectiveness of magnets and magnetic knee supports, but many people find them beneficial, especially those who have knee conditions like arthritis. Despite the fact, that magnets have been used for centuries to heal various health problems, scientific researches have been done only during last 25 years or so. Depending on these researches, more and more devices come with magnets to prevent pain, for example, bracelets for pain relief in wrists and arms, shoe inserts for pain relief in feet and ankles, and knee supports for pain relief in knees. The operational principle of magnets supposed to be iron (within human blood cells) attraction to the magnets, thereby stimulating blood circulation, but since this principle has not enough evidence, it cannot be claimed that it really helps. Of course, some results have shown some promise, but they are not conclusive.
There are various types of magnetic knee supports – knee guards, sleeves and braces. Different magnetic supports has different strength – each knee support has certain amount of Gauss which can be from 200 to 20 000 (and more). The higher is this number, the deeper the magnet goes, but it is not necessary to choose the knee support which has higher amount of Gauss – it is important to choose the proper strength for individual case. It should be mentioned, that the number of magnets is more important than the size of magnets – it is proved, that strong magnetic field is produced better by several strategically placed magnets rather than few large magnets. Magnetic knee supports, depending on their type and strength, are recommended for usage in sports to prevent different knee injuries and for usage in chronic pain conditions such as arthritis to prevent discomfort and pain.
- Magnetic knee guards are relatively cheap and safe device which helps to lessen knee discomfort. These magnetic knee guards provide pain relief, absorbing part of the force at the knee and offering compression and warmth on the knee joint. Most of the magnetic knee guards have Gauss rating between 1000 – 6000.
- Magnetic knee sleeves are intended for people who suffer from mild to moderate knee pain which is caused by tendonitis, arthritis and other injuries which are related with sports or work. Magnetic knee sleeves usually have higher Gauss rating (between 5000 -15 000) which helps reduce pain and swelling quicker. These sleeves are suitable for those, who want to maintain a physical lifestyle, as well.
- Magnetic knee braces help to reduce moderate to severe knee discomfort and pain which is caused by arthritis, sprains, post-surgical recovery and other serious knee injuries. Most of the magnetic knee braces have Gauss rating between 10 000 – 30 000.
Magnetic knee supports provide following benefits:
- Increased blood flow – magnetic fields attract and repel charged particles in the blood stream, increasing blood circulation. During this process, certain amount of heat is generated. Such activities cause the blood vessels to bring fresh oxygen and nutrients, and to remove the toxins. These processes result in faster healing, reduction of swelling, stiffness and inflammation.
- Reduction of pain – magnetic fields are believed to activate some parts of the nervous system, lessening the pain signals which are sent to the brain and thereby reducing the amount of pain sensation.
- Promotion of general well being – usage of magnetic knee supports improves sleeping activity levels, reducing the stress due to knee pain.
Magnetic therapy is not suitable for:
- Owners of pacemakers;
- Children who are younger that 7 years;
- Patients of haemophilia;
- People who are undergoing dialysis;
- People who have surgically implanted screws;
- People who are allergic to metals;
- People who have open wounds;
- Workers who are using high voltage machinery or are working with high voltage cables;
- Users of transdermal drug delivery patches or insulin pumps;
- People who usually have irritation after usage of magnets.
Before you start to use some magnetic knee supports, you should first consult a physician or an orthopedic surgeon.