Knee injuries or pain can be tough and make one unproductive or unable to function effectively. When knee injuries strike, there are measures that can be taken to rectify the situation. Some conditions might require physiotherapy, others surgery for knee replacement or correction but whatever the treatment, most would always require the use of a knee immobilizer afterward.
Do you just walk into a pharmacy or health store and look for any kind of leg brace, knee extension splint, and knee splint brace or do you wait for a doctor to prescribe what you should use? Whatever decision you make would be dependent on the knowledge you have. This buying guide is designed to help you gain the knowledge required to make the right decision for you.
What is a Knee Immobilizer?
A knee immobilizer is a brace that is worn on the knee to help keep the knee immobile after an injury or surgery on the knee. It can also be used to stabilize and give support to weak knees. The knee immobilizer goes by a lot of names; depending on the brand, they are also known as knee surgery brace, knee extension splint, leg immobilizer splint and knee splint brace.
It is vital to use the right design and size and to use it correctly so that the knee can heal properly and you get the full benefit of knee immobilizer use. There are various types of knee immobilizers and each is designed to take care of different kinds of knee conditions. The various types include prophylactic, rehabilitative, functional, onloader and offloader immobilizers.
They can either be prescribed by a doctor or worn at one’s discretion. Some injuries may require the use of a full leg immobilizer while others may require a short knee immobilizer. There are knee surgery braces that are solely for knee immobilization after surgery that allow for some level of movement while the knee extension splint is designed to be worn only at night because it doesn’t allow for any form of movement. This is to ensure that the patient does not suffer further injury while asleep. The patella immobilizer brace is a type of functional knee immobilizer because it allows the wearer to carry on with their active lifestyle while recovering from a knee injury.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Knee Immobilizer
Due to the wide range of designs available, one needs to understand the types of immobilizer needed for each occasion (that’s why we touched on that briefly before this section). Before you go shopping for a knee immobilizer, there are several factors that you need to put into consideration and they include the following:
Size – Before you go shopping for a knee immobilizer, ensure that you measure your leg and knees to get the right dimensions that the immobilizer would cover. It has to be the right size to get the right effect; too tight and it would cause more injury and too loose and it wouldn’t provide the restriction needed and would be slipping off your knee. If after measurement, you find that the dimension of the immobilizer doesn’t fit you, you are advised to call the manufacturer or seller to verify the right size for you.
Level of support needed – The kind of support you want to get from the knee immobilizer is very important in determining the type of immobilizer to get. There are several types of knee braces that are designed for mild to serious knee injuries and others that are specially designed for post surgery support. However, there are still different levels of support for injuries or weak knees provided by different designs and models. This makes it very vital for you to know what level of support your condition requires before you make a choice of the product to buy.
Materials used for manufacturing – Ensure that you look out for a product that is made with top quality materials. And it is important that the material is breathable, able to easily absorb sweat and leave your skin dry. This would minimize the breeding of bacteria and odor. Low quality material would be abrasive to the skin and can cause more injury to the wearer. Furthermore, quality of material also contributes to the durability of the product.
Appearance – This is an important factor to consider because you wouldn’t want something that would be so conspicuous that any time you wear it, it stands out like a neon light. Most knee immobilizers come in dark colors and the ones we have reviewed here are well designed too!
Weight – The weight of your knee immobilizer is also important; it would determine how comfortable you’ll be wearing it. The best of knee immobilizers are no fun to wear so you want to find one that would be most comfortable for you. A good knee immobilizer should be lightweight and not cumbersome. It should also be designed in such a way that you can wear it underneath your clothing without it being conspicuous.
Ease of use – It is important that the immobilizer be easy to put on and off. Read reviews by people who have bought and used the brand you are considering; this would let you know whether it requires professional help to put it on or not.
Price– Although it can be argued that ‘expensive’ is not synonymous with ‘good quality’; we can safely say that if you want a product of high quality, you should be prepared to pay a bit more.
In conclusion, it is advised that you consult an orthopedic surgeon if you don’t have a full grasp of what is ailing you. It would be counterproductive for you to use the wrong brace; like using a long knee brace instead of a knee cast brace or to use a short knee immobilizer when you need a full leg immobilizer. If you are looking for where to buy a knee immobilizer, we point you in the right direction in our reviews below…
Tynor Knee Immobilizer
- Manufacturer – Tynor
- Materials – Aluminum and Fused Fabrics
- Size – Ten different sizes
- Age group – adults and youth
- Colors – grey
- Dimensions – 27.6 x 27.6 x 27.6 inches
- Weight – 1 pound
- Other features – High level of immobilization; lightweight; designed to fit the contours of the knee
Tynor Orthotics Pvt Ltd is an Indian company that was founded in response to the need for affordable top quality orthopedic products such as knee extension splints, full leg immobilizers, knee splint braces, knee cast brace and others for the average Indian patient. Hitherto quality orthopedic products were imported which made them far out of reach of most Indian patients.
Tynor’s vision and mission are to work with medical and academic professionals to improve the standard of healthcare, provide orthopedic products that meet international standards and use technology to bring down the cost of medical care and aid. It is consistently innovating to provide consumers with products that guarantee satisfaction without bankrupting them; it also takes pride in its after-sales service and great customer care service. From inception to date, it has expanded from just catering to the people of India to become a global provider of top quality orthopedic products.
Tynor is reputed for a wide variety of products that are attractively packaged and guarantee high value for money spent; one of such products is the Tynor Knee Immobilizer. So when you need a knee immobilizer that’s top notch without being inordinately expensive, reach for this wonderful product. It is great for immobilizing and supporting an injured knee or one that has just been operated on and providing the needed protection during the recovery period.
Protection for an injured/recuperating knee is highly important to prevent further injury or complications and a knee immobilizer that’s not well designed would do more harm than good. Tynor’s Knee Immobilizer would get the job done because it is made with aluminum back splints that are shaped to fit the back of the knee and ensure that it is held firmly in place. The side splints are also made of aluminum but are designed for maximum comfort. The body is made with a combination of materials that provide adequate cushioning and enhance comfort. This product is a fusion of efficiency and comfort and what’s more? It comes with a customer satisfaction guarantee and a manufacturer’s warranty.
- Well designed for efficiency and comfort; though it has a firm grip, it doesn’t cause discomfort to the wearer
- Made with top quality materials that ensure that there are no hot spots on the knee
- It comes in ten sizes
- It lasts for a long time
- It is formulated with anti-slip materials that ensure the immobilizer remains in place
- It is lightweight so that it doesn’t weigh down on the knee
- Comes with extra patella tendon strap, saving you the stress of looking for a replacement or extra straps
- It is easy to put on and off and doesn’t have to stay permanently on. It can be removed when not needed
- The knee cover does not have adequate adjustment; this means that you have to get the sizing right
Neo G Closed Knee Brace
- Manufacturer – Neo G
- Materials – Premium Grade Neoprene
- Size – one size
- Weight – 5.3 ounces
- Color – blue
- Dimensions – 7.5 x 7.1 x 1.6 inches
- Other features – One size fits most right and left knees; compression that is fully adjustable; unisex; can be used for different activities
Neo G is a supplier of a wide variety of top quality medical products designed and produced by orthopedic practitioners. It was founded in the UK in 2005 and is a brand of Class 1 Medical Compression and Support Devices which is registered with the MHRA, FDA and Health Canada. It is also the official Partner of The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy of UK.
Its target market includes people in the medical field as well as sports stores and specialty stores offline and online. It employs cutting-edge technology to manufacture its products in factories in Europe. It also ensures that these factories are regulated by CE and ISO. All its products are designed by professional designers of orthopedic accessories, using medical grade materials. Its design team is continually innovating, developing products and rigorously testing them to ensure that the high quality is uncompromised. With Neo G products you are assured of top quality at affordable prices; one of such products is the Closed Knee Brace.
The Neo G Closed Knee Brace is ideal for active people as it provides adequate support that doesn’t impede everyday and sporting activities. It is a slip-resistant, closed patella design that’s made of top quality neoprene and it offers a high level of comfort even as it does the job of supporting the knee. It is medically devised with heat therapeutic neoprene that warms up muscles and joints and helps to alleviate pain caused by arthritis and other joint ailments.
It also helps patients recovering from minor ligament, tendon injuries, and meniscus injuries and works well to reduce strain and stress to injured or weak knees. If you need something to help support your weak knees, the Neo G Closed Knee Brace is your best bet. The adjustable nature of the knee immobilizer makes provision for tall people who need a long leg knee immobilizer, considering the fact that the dimension of the area to be treated would be different from that of people with shorter legs.
- It is one size that’s designed to fit most people no matter the body type
- It is designed for an active lifestyle and can be worn for sporting events
- It can be adjusted to allow blood to flow safely to the knee
- It can also be adjusted to any level of compression desired
- It is made of top quality materials, ensuring that it lasts for a long time
- It is certified and recognized by regulatory bodies, worldwide
- The material used is medical grade neoprene
- It can be used with either the Neo G hot or cold therapy pack or disc to retain a consistent and firm hold on the area being treated
- It is thin and lightweight; does not bulge under clothes
- The Velcro used doesn’t last for long but curls and puffs up at the edges. One has to change it after a while to keep getting the full benefit of the brace
Velpeau Knee Immobilizer
- Manufacturer – Velpeau
- Materials – Polyester cloth, sponge, sweat cloth, aluminum alloy support bar, velcro
- Size – Three sizes available
- Machine washable – No
- Colors – Black
- Weight – 1.85 pounds
- Other features – Beautiful unisex design; one size fits both right and left knee; washable
Alfred-Armand-Louis-Marie Velpeau is a French surgeon whose work was widely acclaimed between 1842 and 1862. He contributed greatly to the understanding of human anatomy and helped to develop styles of bandaging and supporting injured joints, muscles and other parts of the body. Till date, many bandages, knee extension splints, leg immobilizer splints, full leg braces and other types of braces are named after him.
Velpeau bandages and braces of all kinds are manufactured by many professional designers of orthopedic products. They all follow the French surgeon’s method of bandaging and support. However, with constant research and innovation, they keep improving and discovering better materials and designs that would offer more comfort and support. This supplier offers great customer service and a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the purchase.
If you are looking for a knee immobilizer after surgery, the Velpeau Knee Immobilizer is ideal for pre-op and post-op knee surgery patients. When used, it keeps the knee rigid and allows no movement so the wearer might have to use a crutch or have someone support them. It also ensures that the patient does not sustain further injury through the night while sleeping and keeps them comfortable; it is a great knee surgery brace.
It is made with a sponge with high mass and sewn with wool that’s been treated to make it soft and lustrous and Velcro to hold the edges in place. These materials are top quality and are lightweight, comfortable and breathable. They are anti-allergy and do not irritate the skin. They also have the ability to absorb sweat fast, leaving the wearer dry and without odor.
This makes it suitable to be worn over or under clothing. The open design gives the wearer a higher level of comfort. This design has four strong aluminum alloy profiles at the back and the sides of the knee joints. This is to ensure adequate support so that the brace won’t fall off. It can also be adjusted to the level of compression required by the patient.
- It is designed for both male and female users and can be used for either the right or left knee
- It is beautifully designed so that it can be worn without detracting so much from the wearer’s general style
- It can be hand washed and kept clean for repeated use
- It comes with a six-month guarantee and 100% money back customer satisfaction warranty
- Comes in 3 sizes so that you can get a perfect fit; seller also has a size chart to help you
- It’s made of top quality materials that are breathable, non-allergic and it lasts for long.
- It’s easy to wear; you just need to fasten the Velcro tape
- It comes with instructions for use
- The Velcro starts to wear off after like a month’s use and this is inconveniencing as the brace starts to slip down and has to be adjusted repeatedly
TOROS-GROUP Tri-Panel Knee Immobilizer
- Manufacturer – TOROS-GROUP
- Materials – 100% cotton with Velcro straps Size – Three sizes available/li]
- Dimensions 9.5 x 0.5 x 4.8 inches
- Weight 0.16 pounds
- Color black
- Other features -Loop and lock closure that is easy to use; adjustable straps; adaptable for active lifestyle
TOROS-GROUP is a manufacturer of top quality orthopedic products that are designed to provide support while keeping the patient comfortable. It has 15 years of experience in manufacturing braces which shows in its superior designs and quality. It employs cutting-edge technology to produce braces that combine super efficiency with a high level of comfort.
From neck braces to pregnancy support braces to shoulder support braces and bandages, TOROS-GROUP is committed to giving its customers great value at highly affordable prices. It also prides itself on its excellent customer care and after-sales service. With any of its products, you are sure of clear instructions on usage and customer satisfaction warranty.
Joint and muscle aches/pain can stop you from being at your best; it’s even worse if you a very active person whose job or lifestyle demands a lot of moving around. There are some severe cases of a knee injury that demand surgery; in which case you have to consult an orthopedic surgeon. However, if your case is not as severe, TOROS-GROUP offers just what you need to alleviate the pain and relieve the stress on your knees; the TOROS-GROUP Tri-Panel Knee Immobilizer. It is designed for active people and though it provides adequate support, it does not totally inhibit movement.
It is ideal for supporting weak knees and providing stability for injured knees. Though not designed for recuperating knee surgery patients, it provides stiff compression for fractured knees and other knee ailments and conditions and can also be used as a patella immobilizer brace.
Fabricated with the best quality materials, which include 100% cotton and Velcro, it is durable and lasts for a long time. With consideration to the fact that some patients might not have assistance in the use of this brace, it is designed with a simple to use loop and lock closure; no complicated contraption. The simple cotton material is breathable and non-allergic and can be worn for a long period without odors.
- It is made of top quality materials
- It comes in various sizes with a guide on how to choose the right size
- It can be used by everyone because of the non-allergic properties of the materials used to manufacture it
- It is easy to use; does not require professional assistance
- It comes with 4 completely adjustable straps that ensure a perfect fit for the wearer; this makes it possible for it to be used as a full leg immobilizer
- It is lightweight and not cumbersome, allowing the user to wear it under clothing
- It offers great pain and stress relief in the knee area
- It has an open patella design and reinforced patella stabilizer that holds brace firmly in place
- The black color helps to make it inconspicuous
- The sizing runs small compared to other sizing charts which means you have to do a lot of comparison to get the right fit before making your purchase
Bird & Cronin Comfort Knee Immobilizer
- Manufacturer – Bird &Cronin
- Materials – Neoprene
- Size – one size fits all
- Color – black
- Weight – 10.4 ounces
- Dimensions – 14.5 x 7.1 x 3.6 inches
- Other features – One size fits most; easy to wear and remove; exterior designed for extra comfort
Bird & Cronin is one of the top makers of orthopedic products such as leg brace, full knee immobilizer, patella immobilizer brace, footwear for patients and specialty products for patient care. It takes pride in providing top quality products that are distributed globally through many outlets. It is committed to providing orthopedic patients with products that are of top quality at the most affordable prices possible.
It partners with medical practitioners to proffer solutions to ambulatory issues. Its products help to improve the lives of orthopedic patients. Bird & Cronin was established in 1970 as a regional home care and distribution firm. Over the years, it has evolved into a globally recognized designer and producer of top quality medical products and accessories. It also owns the Physician’s Choice retail brand, through which it does custom production for a few partners.
As part of its expansion and growth, it was acquired by Dynatronics Corporation in 2017. This further positioned it to have the ability to meet the ever increasing needs of its growing customer base. Despite its growth and expansion, its goal remains to consistently provide top notch medical products and services to customers. It also recognizes its responsibility to be aware of and informed about the ever evolving needs of the healthcare sector and to promptly respond to them.
If you have been having issues with the traditional knee immobilizer brace, you need not look farther for a good quality knee immobilizer. The Bird & Cronin Comfor Knee Immobilizer is designed to provide support and comfort for patients with weak knees or injury. It is designed with a soft material that ensures that further damage is not done to the wearer’s knee.
Unlike some brands that offer right knee immobilizers and left knee immobilizers, this is a universal size and design that can fit most people and be used for both the right and left knee. It has two adjustable stays for placement on both sides of the knee and another stay designed to fit the shape of the back of the knee. The hook and loop bands make it easy to open and close.
- It is manufactured with a top quality material that’s soft and non-abrasive to skin
- The straps can be replaced to get a perfect fit
- It does not slip once it is firmly fixed to the knee
- It is versatile and can be adjusted to fit the wearer’s need; can be used as a short knee immobilizer or a long knee brace
- Offers great value at an affordable price
- Works well to stabilize patient’s knee while asleep
- Some customers found it difficult to understand how to use it because it didn’t come with instructions
Cold Compression Knee Immobilizer
- Manufacturer – Product Stop, Inc.
- Materials – Nylon exterior
- Size – One size fits all
- Weight – 3.81 pounds
- Color – black
- Other features – Very cold; no leaks; gives relief from swelling and pain; unisex; satisfaction guaranteed or money back
Product Stop, Inc. was birthed out of a deep dissatisfaction from using inferior products. After over a decade of having no choice but to use less-than-top class products, bought at high prices after waiting long weeks for them to arrive, the online store came to be so that customers would have choices in quality and prices. Today, it is one of the best sellers on Amazon and you can trust any product you get from it, whatever it may be.
No matter the category of product you pick from Product Stop, Inc., you can rest assured that it was chosen from the best brands and with the best intention: to make you happy and comfortable. So if you are looking for where to buy a knee immobilizer, you can check out this online store and you would be sure that whichever one you find there would be one of the finest ever made, like the Cold Compression Knee Immobilizer Brace.
This immobilizer is a full leg immobilizer that is colder than Siberia, no jokes. The ice pack in it remains so cold for as long as you wear it due to its gel wrap that solidly compresses air, keeping the ice safe from outside air that has the potential to melt it. It encases the leg from mid-thigh to the top of the ankle. This is good because it keeps the injured leg from making constant movements so that the knee can heal properly.
Alongside the compression of air, the pack is double sealed to further ensure that there are no leaks. Leaks would make a mess apart from defeating the purpose of bringing relief from pain and swelling. This knee immobilizer is leak-proof so you do not have to worry about making a mess anywhere due to a leak; you are completely protected from that.
Due to the above features, this knee immobilizer is a sure way of getting relief from aches, swellings, and pains. Its coldness will numb the pain for as long as you wear it. With this, you do not need any medication to attack the pain or give you relief. The best part of it is that you can comfortably use it as either a cold compression pack or a hot one which means that you can use it for several purposes. You can wash and reuse it over and again, and it would not wear out.
And the material is medical grade so that anyone can use it. From physical therapy to relief from inflammation of the muscles and arthritis, the material is suitable and does not cause any form of discomfort. It was intentionally made with the best materials and, coupled with the fact that it is approved by the FDA, it comes highly recommended. You get so much out of this one deal.
- This knee immobilizer is very cold and remains so for a long time
- It is leak-proof
- It affords relief from swelling, aches, and pains
- The material is medical grade and approved by the FDA
- It can be used by both men and women
- You have a guarantee to get your money back if not satisfied
- It comes in only one size so may not fit everybody
Bird & Cronin Knee Immobilizer
- Manufacturer – Bird & Cronin
- Materials – Foam
- Size – Universal
- Color – black
- Weight– 1.1 pounds
- Dimensions – 3.3 x 8.4 x 25.5 inches
- Other features – Comes with loop and hook for easy securing; suitable for almost every patient; made to be very comfortable
Designing, manufacturing and distributing products that have to do with sports-related medicine, orthopedics, and special care; Bird & Cronin has grown over the span of about 40 years from being just a distributor and a home care company to having its own designs and manufacturing medical items that come highly recommended.
From ankle braces and buddy splints to compression sleeves and knee immobilizers, like the 08142660 Comfor Knee Immobilizer, Bird & Cronin has got everyone’s best interests at heart. Working, exercising and even recuperating do not have to be a chore or painful. Just trust this brand and you would be glad you did.
The Bird & Cronin 08142660 Comfor Knee Immobilizer is a long leg knee immobilizer and it holds the knee strong and steady to eliminate possible movements that hinder the healing process. The stability and support it provides are second to none. It comes with Velcro straps that you can loop and hook so that the immobilizer stays secure, not shifting in any way. Not only do the straps keep it in place, they also make it easy to secure. This is an advantage because no patient needs extra stress on an injured knee all in the name of wearing a knee immobilizer. But with this, you just fix and strap on, no stress.
The material of this immobilizer is foam so it is very comfortable to wear. Besides giving relief from pain and swelling, it also gives insulation against any further injuries. The ice pack is strong and retains the coldness within so that there are no leaks and the cold does not seep out. The material is made to fit any skin type so that nobody adversely reacts to it. Except for the fact that it keeps your leg in one place and you cannot bend your knee, you would hardly know you are wearing anything extra; it is super comfortable.
Its usage is diverse; almost any patient can use it for different injuries. And the fact that it is a long leg immobilizer means that no matter how tall you are, you can wear it, unlike a short leg immobilizer. Coupled with the aforementioned Velcro straps which can be adjusted to fit any size, you know you are covered with it. So go ahead and try this one out. That troublesome knee would not know what hit it.
- It comes with a loop and hook feature for easy closure and adjustment
- It is suitable for use on almost any type of knee injury
- It is made of foam, which is not only comfortable but also insulates against further injury
- It has a universal size
- Not all the Velcro straps are attached to the immobilizer so it may be difficult to know where each one goes if they come off
Alpha Medical Three Panel Knee Immobilizer
- Manufacturer – Alpha Medical
- Size – 12, 16, 18, 20, 22 inches
- Weight – 15.4 ounces
- Machine washable – yes
- Color – black
- Dimesnions – 6 x 6 x 25 inches
- Other features – Uniquely designed; contoured; two panels for great adjustment; Velcro straps; well padded
Setting up shop about 30 years ago, Alpha Medical L.L.C first started out by making elastic braces for the knees. From there, having built a name for itself as a trustworthy and quality manufacturer of these braces, it branched out to other types of braces and similar supports, much as were already in the market but at amazing prices without any reduction in quality. These qualities have endeared it to many people in the medical line and the brand has established itself as one of the leaders in this industry.
New products from its stables are made with some of the best technology and fashioned according to the feedback it gets from its numerous customers worldwide to suit whatever region or climate you need its products for. All its products come highly recommended because they all embody the brand’s foundational principles of integrity, dedication and passion. These are exemplified in the Alpha Medical 18″ Long Three Panel Knee & Leg Immobilizer, one of the many you will find in its stores.
This knee immobilizer works well as a knee splint brace because it holds the injured knee steady so it can heal quickly, just the way a knee splint would. In fact, it is a knee splint/brace. Even though it does this, it is not uncomfortable in any way. You would think that something that works as a brace must not be as comfortable as they come but it is built to be effective and give you comfort at the same time. With this, you do not have to feel as if you are undergoing any treatment.
It is uniquely designed such that there is no undue pressure directly on the patella. The immobilizer is open on top of the patella; you can freely move it and not feel as if you are confined. Pressure on it may cause more harm than good. As much as it is giving stability to the patella, it affords comfort at the same time. Hence, it is a great patella immobilizer brace.
Furthermore, it has two panels at the sides so that it can be adjusted to either be bigger or smaller, according to the user’s frame. Even though it comes in different sizes, they are for the length of the leg. The panels overlap and are secured with Velcro straps to keep them in place. The straps help with the compression that the immobilizer offers. Depending on what you can take at a time, you can either tighten or loosen it. This feature gives room for it to be used either as a right knee immobilizer or a left one.
The stays at the back, that lend stiffness to the immobilizer, are shaped to fit the contour at the back of the knee and the knee itself like a T. Therefore, the stiffness does not give you discomfort, rather you have balance and stability.
- It is uniquely designed to be open at the patella
- The panels at the sides make for easy adjustment of size
- The Velcro straps not only secure but also give room for adjusting the compression
- It is contoured to accommodate the knee properly
- Seams could be weak as some users complained of the Velcro straps tearing off too easily
Now that you’ve gone through both our buying guide and individual product reviews, we hope you’ve got enough information to help you make an informed buying decision. Now the ball is in your court; step out and buy yourself a great knee immobilizer.